Share the VOTE with your KIDS!

I very much remember heading to polling places with my parents each election. I also remember mock-elections in school beginning when I was in kindergarten and we cast our votes for either President Jimmy Carter or President Ronald Reagan. Each time, my parents would remind me why it was important to vote. I thought, in my little girl mind, that I might someday become the first, Jewish woman president. Now, my daughter carries that dream.

Later, I became very fascinated with history. I attended college at a small, women's school in upstate New York, a school that not only had buildings on the Underground Railroad, but also educated Suffragists. Voting meant expressing your voice. It meant fulfilling a right that, through my education I knew,  had been no easy battle to win. It also was not a right in so many places around the world.

Now, I am by no means going to tell you, dear reader, who to vote for though I sure would like to do that. Instead, I am merely going to encourage you to bring your children to vote. Or encourage you to show them your mail-in ballot. I hope you will explain how our government works and why no vote is unimportant. Most importantly, I hope that no matter who wins on November 6th, this year or any year, you will share with your children the importance and the excitement of playing a role in selecting a leader who shares the beliefs you share.

Here are some links to great information on voting and government to share with children. I hope you enjoy them with your kids in the coming weeks. Don't forget:  VOTE!

Suffragists

African-American History of voting

How to Become the President

Voting for Kids

School House Rock song

Vote for Somebody song

Great link to books on elections

No comments: