Mariah's Challenge - put a stop to underage drinking

In my "new to me" mini-van, I have the pleasure of having satellite radio. Oh, somedays, I play only the music of the 1980's and on other days, it is Broadway Baby! However, a few times this week, I have tuned into CNN. Yesterday, I heard the incredible story of Leo McCarthy who lost his daughter, Mariah (age 14) to a senseless drunk driving incident. Leo turned his grief and anger into hard work. He created an organization to offer monetary rewards to kids who don't drink before they are 21.

I loved this idea. First, educate middle school aged children about the dangers of underaged drinking. Educate them also about the dangers of drinking and driving. Then, offer them a financial payoff if they sign a contract and stay away from drinking until they are of legal age. Check out this incredible organization. Maybe it is one you want to support? Maybe you can share it with your church, synagogue or school ? To save a life is the highest ideal I know about. Check out Mariah's Challenge  and then let me know what you think!

No comments: