Never Miss a Teacher Conference!

When I first became a classroom teacher, I was only 22 years old and a real newbie. I was assigned to an inclusive 5th grade public school classroom. It was awesome! What I learned immediately was the importance of constant contact (I should have coined that name) with parents. While I made an effort to call 2 or 3 families each week, this was before emails were commonplace, to check-in and report some "good" stuff about their kiddos, I learned the most at conferences. Parents would share in person how they learned as kids, their fears about their children, their pride in their children and they would share what was working and what was not. These conferences taught me to be a better observer and listener. It was what brought us together to be on the same team for this child. I have always said  - every child needs a cheerleader - that is the parents job, while mine was to coach.

Turn the tables, I am now the mother of two super fabulous and smart children. I am also a school administrator and my primary role is to understand how each student is progressing in our school. I think now, more than ever, when most contact is not in-person, parent/teacher conferences are even more necessary. It is the time when parents can learn just where their child stands as a learner and where a parent can show the teacher that they are playing on the same team. Here are some questions you may want to pose at your child's upcoming conference:

*How does my child get along with others? Who are his/her friends?
*What books and games would be great for my child? What does my child like to read?
*What can we do at home to better support his/her learning?
*Are there examples of my child's work?
*Does my child behave in an age appropriate manner? Do they perform on grade level?
*What is my child's learning style?
*What do you see as his/her strengths?
*What is one area you are wanting hi/her to have as a goal this year?
*Is there anything I am not asking about that I should know about?

Come prepared for your child's conference. If you feel you are cut short, ask for a follow-up meeting. It is important to understand how your child is learning and how you can support them. Great teachers will appreciate your preparation and be happy to answer your questions.

Got other great questions for conferences that you think are Good2Know? Post them in the comments!






No comments: