Keeping it Fresh

When children see books on a shelf, all the spines facing out, they are often overwhelmed. How do you choose? Which book is about firefighters? Is it my level? Does it have pictures?

One way I make books more appealing in my home and also at school is to have some books that only come out once a year. These "themed" books are usually on a holiday or seasonal topic. I like to take a special basket and place it in our living room. I fill it with books on that theme. Occasionally, I also stick in the basket a puzzle or game that also applies to the theme.

Right now, the baskets are changing in our house. We had one out for Halloween and autumn books and another for the election. The election basket had books that had anything to do with America. I included a puzzle of the Presidents I found in our toy room. Today, the first basket will be changed to Thanksgiving books. A few of the autumn books may stay.

I notice these themed baskets work wonders. Both my children and our guests (often adults) are drawn to looking through them. Our kids will often ask one of us to read the stories aloud even though they are both proficient readers. They love the fact we have been reading these stories annually for years.

Not sure you have enough books on a theme? No problem. First, make a decision to add one book a year to your collection. These books are enjoyable every year and will make a great collection to give to your grandchildren some day. You can also check-out library books on a theme. Ask the youth librarian to help you find both fiction and non-fiction stories for your family to enjoy.

No comments: